When your breasts have begun to sag it may be the result of the natural effects of aging. Or, it could be the effects of breastfeeding, a pregnancy, weight loss, or overall heredity and the effects of gravity.
A breast lift, also known as a mastopexy, can help return your breasts to their youthful shape by trimming excess skin and tightening the tissues that support them. Your breasts will be higher up on your chest and firmer to the touch. Your areolas, which may have also stretched or drooped, can be repositioned or reduced when your breasts are lifted.
Your breast size will not need to be a concern because a breast lift doesn’t change the size of your breasts unless you consider having a breast reduction or a breast augmentation along with your breast lift.
NYC plastic surgeon, Dr. Scot Glasberg, is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and the American Board of Surgery and he will assess if you are a candidate for a breast lift. Most women who meet the following conditions for a breast lift are women who have the following symptoms:
- Sagging breasts
- A loss of volume or shape in either breast
- Breasts that are flattened or hanging
- Stretching of the skin of the breast and/or areola
- Nipples or areolas that are pointed downward
- Nipples or areolas are located in the breast crease when breasts are unsupported
- A breast that is lower than the other
If you are considering a breast lift there are certain health requirements you need to meet before undergoing the procedure, they include:
- Maintaining a weight that is stable with no fluctuations
- Are in good general health
- Does not smoke because it affects the healing process
- Has realistic goals for the outcome of their procedure and has discussed them with Dr. Glasberg, their NYC breast lift plastic surgeon
- Have completed their childbearing
The NYC breast lift procedure is typically an outpatient procedure and can range from one and a half hours to three and a half hours in length. After the procedure, you will need to wear a surgical bra or elastic bandage for support which is then replaced with a soft supportive bra that will need to be worn for 24 hours a day for the next month.
If you are considering a breast lift, Dr. Glasberg and his team are committed to providing you with the best possible results and look forward to scheduling your consultation and answering any questions you may have. To schedule an appointment, please call us at (212) 717-8550.